Monday, December 15, 2008

Craft Envy and Unexpected Presidential Encounters

It's almost Christmas. I haven't even purchases Christmas cards, let alone addressed them or mailed them out. I'm still shopping for Christmas gifts. I have no idea what I want for myself, which really isn't a big deal. I don't really need much.

I'm never really one of those super organized, ahead-of-the-game holiday people, but this year I am further behind than ever. I'll blame it on that Stats class and the squadron kid's Christmas party I helped to plan and organize on Saturday. (By the way, got an A in Stats! Crazy!) (And the Christmas party was great! Lots of fun, if not lots of food. Caleb had a blast!)



Have I ever mentioned that I have craft envy? I do. One of the spouses I know in the squadron is like the epitome of all things crafty. I get overwhelmed just seeing her supplies! And then I get jealous. I wants neat little doo dads that can create gorgeous invitations and cards and scrapbooking pages! I know I have a creative crafter in me, I just have to figure out how to release her.

So in that vein, I've been trying to get a little crafty lately. Caleb and I have been coloring (which is to say, Caleb is trying to eat the crayons, and I am spelling Caleb's name for him.) We also tried finger painting, which was fun, even if he didn't really understand what we were doing. And I have been trying to do a hand and footprint reindeer (as explained by Tina, the craft goddess), using Caleb's footprint as the reindeer face and his hand prints as the antlers. That project isn't going so well for reasons I won't bore you with.

Recently a friend mentioned she was doing tortilla snowflakes, which I instantly googled. Then while making breakfast burritos for dinner tonight (yum!), I made a snowflake tortilla for Caleb. This is how it turned out.



We didn't actually eat it tonight (again, for reasons I won't bore you with), but it looks pretty yummy, and it was ridiculous easy to make. I don't know if that makes me crafty, but it makes me happy. We'll try it tomorrow.

I have to say, I kind of wish I had been watching this season of X Factor (England's version of American Idol.) To be fair, I've never seen a single episode of X Factor and haven't really been interested in it before this year, even though I am an American Idol fan. (Albeit a young American Idol fan, I've only watched two seasons.) But I keep hearing the radio DJs talking about these amazing performances and I feel like I'm missing out. Maybe next season.

I've realized today that I've been in England a long time. This epiphany was brought on by the fact that I heard a new song on the radio this afternoon and I knew it was the Sugarbabes. I struck me that I could tell the difference between the Sugarbabes and Girls Aloud based strictly on the vocals, and at that moment, I thought, "Man, I have been here a while!"

In other news, my husband met the President today! We weren't expecting a visit from George W., but Air Force One stopped by our base to refuel. President Bush got off the plane for a bit and my husband got to shake his hand and get a picture with him! Crazy. He had no idea when he woke up this morning that he'd meet the President of the United States today! (By the way, President Bush asked my husband where he was from, and my husband responded by telling him South Carolina. To which President Bush responded, "Yee haw!" That, of course, is my favorite part of this story.)

We don't have the pictures to prove it yet, but as soon as Public Affairs sends them our way, I'll throw it up!

Man, this blog ended up being a lot longer than I expected. On that note, I'm going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment