Saturday, December 29, 2007

We'll Take a Cup of Kindness Yet...

As it's the end of the year, I feel like I should be reflective about this past twelve months. I should talk about all the changes that have occurred, from moving to England, to surviving yet another deployment, to the birth of our first child.

But I don't feel reflective. I haven't been spending this last week looking back, but looking forward. I'm excited for a potentially deployment free year (cross your fingers!) I'm so grateful that Tommy's found a good back office job. (Oh! Annoucement! Tommy got a back office job! He'll be working something called Personnel Security, which has to do with assisting people in getting Top Secret clearances and things like that. It's great because he'll be working a regular 8-4:30 Mon-Fri type of schedule. And it'll look great on his resume!)

I'm excited for my new job as Caleb's mom. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him and seeing him grow and change throughout the months. I can't wait till he reaches out to grab things and learns how to sit up and, most of all, begins to laugh! It amazes me already how much he's changed. He's not that skinny little helpless newborn anymore. He's a plump little pooper who spends his days squeaking and cooing and kicking his chunky little legs. He's already so much fun, and I can't wait till he's more interactive!

We're hoping to make a trip home (both SC and NE) this summer. We started saving while I was working at Keesler and already have quite a chunk set aside, but I can't beleive the prices of tickets! Plus, we have to think about the cost of boarding the dogs or paying someone to house/dog sit. As much as I want to go home and show off my COOLEST BABY EVER!, I hate the thought of all that money we've been (and will be) saving being spent at the click of a mouse. There's a part of me that wants to horde that money and make it into something much bigger than a trip home...like a down payment for a house when we move back to the states in three years. And yet, I so desperately want to go home and see everyone and share Caleb while he's still a baby. We'll see!

I'm excited that this upcoming year will be so drastically different than this year. I won't start off the year homeless. I have a family to enjoy. And hopefully we'll get to do some day trips around the country this year. I want to enjoy living in England and start to see some of the things I haven't had a chance to see yet, like Bath and Stonehenge and Brighton and Scotland and Ireland!

While I'm grateful for all the changes that occurred in 2007, I'm looking forward to a 2008 where I won't be pregnant and alone in a foreign country. I'm hoping I will become a better mom and wife this year. And I'm hoping to become a better Kelly all around. I want to write more and really invest in the creative side of myself that has been dormant for so long. I want to awaken the side of me that makes me feel most like myself.

So, good-bye, 2007! I'm glad you were here, but I'm glad you're leaving, too. Let's get on to a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment