Friday, July 25, 2008

Homecomings

The best part of being a military spouse is homecomings. You know how married people complain that the excitement of the first date is hard to recapture? That's true. But the anticipation of seeing your spouse for the first time in a half a year rivals those feelings, and may even surpass that excitement. Deciding what to wear, how to do your hair, and imagining what it will be like is enough to make a person sick.

Today my friend Leah's husband returned from about six or so months in Iraq, and I don't remember ever being this excited for another wive's homecoming. I admire Leah more than I can say. I hear military wives say that their husbands are their heroes, and I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of my husband's service and dedication to the US Air Force. But when I see a mom like Leah with three kids "hold down the fort" by herself for half a year, it amazes me.

This is a hard, hard job. The next time my husband leaves, I'll have a child that is completely dependent on me -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The AF has implemented some great programs to provide releif for spouses of deployed memebers. And even though I feel like I've created a pretty solid support system for myself here, losing your biggest support and best friend for months and months is an overwhelming situation. Adding a child that you have to maintain a sense of stability for while Dad's gone is just one more thing that can make a person lose their mind.

I just want to say how honored I am to know so many strong women. You all are inspirations to me; you are examples of strength, fortitude and courage. More than that, you are my friends. I feel so lucky to have come to Mildenahll for this assignment. I don't think I would have been nearly as close to my military community if our assignment had been stateside as I am here. Thank you for making me a stronger spouse and a stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment