Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

When Caleb gets happy, he gives a huge, gummy, no-teeth smile. But when he gets really happy, the opened-mouth smile is accompanied by a little quiver of his tongue. I know it sounds strange, but it’s quite possibly the cutest thing ever. It’s as if he’s so happy he can’t even control himself. As if his body recognizes that a smile isn’t significant enough, that a little tongue-quake must accompany it.

He gets fits of "gigglocaucus." Gigglocaucus was a phrase in a British cartoon called Danger Mouse that used to be on Nickelodean when we lived in Las Vegas. If I remember the episode correctly (and it’s been over 20 years), there was some sort of gas that the villian released into the air that gave people uncontrollable fits of laughter. Caleb’s fits come at odd moments. For instance, he would not stop laughing when I tried to give him a bottle the other day. For some reason, he found it hilarious. When I removed the bottle to play with him, he stopped. Bottle back in: peals of laughter. I don’t understand his humor yet, but I love it all the same.

Today he passed gas and immediately laughed. It was fantastic.

He squeals when the dogs walk into the room. He’ll follow them with his eyes everywhere they go and try to attract their attention in any way possible. For their part, the dogs are largely uninterested in him. But occasionally they’ll give him the time of day, and he laughs and chatters at them.

He loves the ABC’s. It’s an almost guaranteed way to calm him, about 90 percent of the time. I spent over ten minutes tonight singing the ABC’s because he tired enough to be cranky, but not tired enough to sleep yet.

Caleb now wakes up in the morning by talking to himself. He starts to come to, finds his reflection in the crib mirror and gives himself a pep talk to start off the day. And yet, whenever we pass the mirror in the hall and I point his reflection out to him, he gets shy and turns away!

He’s such a good baby. He’s slept through the night since he was about 9 weeks old, for the most part. He really only fusses when he needs something (nap, diaper, food.) He's smiley and responsive and totally fun. I could seriously put this kid on and ice cream cone and eat him up. I can’t beleive how lucky I am to be his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment