Saturday, December 24, 2011

Are We There Yet?

I really do enjoy the Christmas season, but boy is it exhausting! Between the shopping, wrapping, parties, and my own self-induced baking mania, I tend to push myself to exhaustion. I have got to get a game plan together much earlier next year if I want to keep up any sort of momentum and still maintain a shred of sanity.

Apparently sanity (and sleep) were not that important this year. Instead, sugar was the priority. I can't explain it. Sometimes I just get bit by the baking bug, and I just can't shake it till I just about burn my finger tips off in molten chocolate or on the edge of hot baking sheets. Although it was far less actual baking this year (only one batch of cookies, not featured in this post at all!) and much more treat making.

My Baking Buddy

Caleb assisted me with my last batch of Oreo truffles tonight.  We ended up making three batches of them. It just felt right! He also helped me with the buckeyes a few nights ago. I'm really enjoying 4. He's so interested in being helpful and being a big boy. It's a lot of fun!

Having said that, my kitchen mojo has completely run dry. I'm so glad to be done tonight. In addition to the Oreo truffles, we did three batches of buckeyes, two batches of gingerbread popcorn, three batches of cinnamon sugar roasted pecans, and two pecan pies.

I say "we" in the loosest sense, obviously. Caleb was interested in helping for about five minutes, and Tommy was more interesting in taste testing than anything!

(I wanted to do Kahlua spiked pecans, but since these will be up for grabs  by as many kids as adults, I opted to leave even that tiny bit of alcohol out. Safety first, kids!)

So with that, I'm hanging up my apron for the week. I finished wrapping tonight, and the Christmas shopping is officially done. I'm ready to sit back, relax, and "enjoy the show" for the next three days.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment