Friday, January 08, 2010

Sick Day

Had a bit of a sick day today. Caleb had a fever yesterday afternoon and it continued to climb throughout today, so we took it easy at home.


It didn't end up being a full-fledged sick day as the fever really only bothered him a couple of times (as the Motrin was wearing off). Once he had some meds in him, he was playing and acting pretty normal. It was kind of nice to have a quiet day together. Not that he was quiet. Not even a little quiet.


We've established three main rules in this house: No kicking, no hitting, no screaming. All three of these are violated on a regular basis with varying consequences due to the nature of the offense, the time of day, and the mood of the warden. I swing a pretty wide pendulum between Consistency-Is-Key and Choose-Your-Battles! So I try (try!) to Consistently Choose My Battles!


I spend a lot of time asking "What are the rules?" Caleb can't seem to remember all three at the same time, yet. He always remembers No Screaming, but the second one he remember depends primarily on what he's just done. If he's hit the dog, he'll remember No Hitting. If he's kicked me during a diaper change (dude, it happens), he remembers No Kicking. We're getting there.


Toddler discipline, I have found, is largely a dance of two steps forward, one step back. We'll get there. He might be 32 by the time we get there, but we'll get there.


Anyway, back to our sick day. We built an awesomely tall tower with his Mega Blocks.



Caleb didn't quite understand the concept of standing next to the tower for this picture, so I had to settle for him standing in front. But his expression just can't be beat!



We also played with his brand new Mr Potato Head that he got for Christmas from my aunt.



Caleb was a little confused about where his arm should go.



Over all, we had a really fun day together, with periods of feverish lethargy. I had packed my bag for circuit training today, but since I didn't go to work, I did a bit of a workout video and made my own mini-circuit consisting of squats, sit ups and push ups. A for effort, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment