Sunday, January 31, 2010

Adventures in Toddler Parenting

Toddler parenting: the act of cleaning up the exact same mess five times in a day.

The problem with staying home all weekend with the express purpose of having a "lazy weekend" is that it's actually impossible when you have a toddler. Caleb's at an age where he wants to undo everything I do, "help" me with my tasks, climb up and reach everything that used to be out of reach, and just generally test every boundary that exists for him. One of his many moments today including throwing all his shoes downs the stairs while I was making dinner.



I need to start planning at least one Caleb-centered out-of-house-activity a weekend, if only to maintain a shred of sanity.

Additionally, I'm trying to kick my diet up a notch. I've been eating very healthy foods since the beginning of the year and exercising a fair amount, but I haven't seen the results I was hoping for. So I'm back to tracking my food, Weight Watchers style, and really watching my portion sizes.

The result is that I'm hungry. (It's only day one, and I know it'll take at least a week or two to adjust to smaller portion sizes.) But hungry Kelly = cranky Kelly, and a troublesome toddler exaberbates the problem.

Luckily, he's pretty cute. Tonight, after I told him I was going to count to 3 and he better sit down and finish eating, he sat down and started his own cranky mom routine. "I go three! One! Two! Fee!" and general somewhat unintelligible bossiness. I was trying my best not to crack a smile at his cheekiness.



But I couldn't help but smiling at him cuddling with Zeus tonight while watching Thomas the Train. It was nice to see my two trouble makers sharing a hug and a quiet moment, even if it did only last five minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment